CEMA was formed in 1976 by a group of management employees who were at the time unrepresented.
As a professional management association, CEMA is an opt-in union, meaning that the payment of biweekly dues is not mandatory. As a County or Court CEMA level employee, you have the option of joining CEMA as a Dues Paying Member. Membership dues are currently $35.00 per bi-weekly pay period, and can be tax deductible depending on your family income level.
So why should you join CEMA, and what benefit do you get by paying dues?
CEMA Members are provided representation and assistance by experienced business representatives, administrative and legal staff. CEMA represents its Members in various employment related situations such as grievance procedures, disciplinary actions against CEMA employees, and help with compaction, reallocation, and reclassification actions.
Membership in CEMA provides many additional privileges. As a CEMA Member, you have the potential to participate in the Union process in the following ways:
- Informational Site Meetings
- Joint labor-management meetings with Executive Leadership
- Participation in the various CEMA committees (Political Action, Communication, Scholarship, Liaison, Professional Development, Member Services, Technology)
- Serving on the CEMA Executive Board
- Perhaps most importantly, only CEMA Members have the right to both negotiate and vote on future CEMA labor contracts which will have a direct impact on their work conditions and livelihood.
CEMA members also have access to up to seven college scholarships per year.
To acheive a larger political voice, CEMA is affiliated with the Operating Engineers Local 3 (OE-3). This means a stronger union with additional clout, and added benefits such as:
- $3000 death benefit for members in good standing
- Other offers for goods and services made exclusively to Union Members that wish to cultivate partnerships such as Credit Union membership
“Having previously worked in the private sector, this is my first experience with a Union of any kind. I wouldn’t say that I’m pro- or anti- Union, falling somewhere in the middle of the spectrum as I see both pros and cons. However, from seeing first-hand the various issues facing public employees in the workplace over the last nine years, I am very thankful to have a level of protection and assurance that includes representation and the ability to bargain a contract that covers my working conditions, salary, and benefits for the sake of myself and my family. Knowing that I am part of the process, can contribute and have a direct impact on my professional standing is invaluable and unmeasurable, much more so than the biweekly dues that I am happily willing to pay to receive this benefit. In my view, if no one in the unit paid their dues, CEMA and all its related benefits wouldn’t exist, and we would all be left as unrepresented management level employees with no guarantees on our working conditions, salary, or benefits.”
To join and become a member, complete our CEMA Membership Application. There is a big difference in becoming a member. Being a CEMA member entitles you to voting rights during all union elections, the right to bring your individual point of view to the membership, the right to participate in union activities, surveys, functions and to union benefits.
We urge you to actively participate as a CEMA member, sign and turn in the CEMA Membership Application. Your participation as a CEMA member makes a difference. Together, we are the union and together we strengthen our voice.
- To be able to join CEMA, you must first be employed by the County of Santa Clara or the Santa Clara Superior Court. This excludes Extra Help and Intermittent Worker employees who are considered temporary employees.
- You may then complete our CEMA Membership Application.
- Print the form, fill in the blanks, and mail it to:
1654 The Alameda,Suite 110
San Jose, CA 95126
- After your completed form is received and processed you will notified and all your benefits of membership begin.
- If you have specific questions about membership in CEMA, a list of the appropriate CEMA Liaisons is available upon request.
Congratulations on making the right choice to become a member of YOUR union.